The 5-a-side team format sees schools go head-to-head in a separate Boys and Girls Challenge showcasing a mix of power, endurance, technique and teamwork events across sprint, distance and field events.
The main focus of the Schools Challenge will be on the athlete’s ability to apply speed and power, technique, endurance and team strategy.
There will be eleven events with a point system focused on team performance rather than the individual.
Combined placings and overall performances will determine the team’s final placing.
Eleven events based on the athletics principles of power, endurance, technique and teamwork.
- Medley Relay - 200m, 400m, 600m, 800m (four runners only)
- 150m (one runner only from the team)
- High Jump (one jumper only from the team, scissors jump only)
- 2-minute distance challenge (two runners from each team, second runner starts from where the first finishes)
- Long Jump (one jumper only from the team)
- 2x300m relay (two runners only from the team)
- 60m sprint (one runner only from the team)
- 60m Hurdles (one runner only from the team)
- Shot Put (one thrower only from the team)
- Elimination "K" (1000m - last two runners in the race are eliminated every 200m - only one runner from each team allowed)
- 4x100m relay (four runners only)
Team performance rather than individual performance is rewarded, with some events featuring individual results, but many focused on combined placings and performances to reach the final event score. Points will range from 100pts for 1st, to 40pts for 6th place in each event.
There will be prizes for the winning Boys, Girls and Combined Schools Teams.
School Teams may comprise 5 students from Years 3 to 6 with bonus points for any Year 3/4 student who also makes the team. Teams are also single gender and each student must participate in two of the above events. A Team must have at least one entrant in each event.
Challenge Turbo Charge
Long Jump and High Jump – nominating one jump where the athlete will attempt to clear a declared distance or height (i.e. 1.2m for boys / 1.4m for girls or higher/further). The Turbo Charge is done on their third and final jump in each event.
Shot Put - on the third and final throw a target will be placed in the sector and an athlete can choose to chase the target for bonus points or throw for distance.
Point penalties apply – 50pts first false start / 100pts second false start.