Ginninderra wishes all its athletes the very best for the School Sport Athletics Season over the Autumn to Spring period. Athletes can enjoy Cross Country and Track & Field competitions for 12 Years and Under (12Yr&U) as well as 13 Years and Over (13Y&O) competitions.
School Carnivals will be held at Charnwood Oval in preparation and Schools are most welcome to utilise Ginninderra's fantastic community facilities and equipment. Students are welcome to get in touch with the Tigers' Coaches in preparation for their carnivals.
If running or walking lots is more your thing, you can join Ginninderra's Cross Country and RunACT squad.
Keep in touch with the Club by posting your school and fun run performances on MyResults. Let the Tigers online result system keep track of all of your performances no matter where you perform them.
Dates to Remember in 2015
- 19th May: Nth Gungahlin 12Yr&U Cross Country, 13Y&O Nth Cross Country, Stromlo Forest Park
- 22nd May: Belconnen Cross Country, Stromlo Forest Park
- 1st June: ACT Combined 12Yr&U, 13Y&O Cross Country, Stromlo Forest Park
- 18th August: 12Yr&U North Gungahlin Track & Field, AIS Athletics Track
- 20th August: 12Yr&U Belconnen Track & Field, AIS Athletics Track
- 28th - 31st August: 12Yr&U School Sport Australia Cross Country, Melbourne
- 15th September: 12Yr&U ACT PSSA Track & Field, Woden Park
- 15th October: ASC Athletics, Venue TBA
- 20th October: 13Y&O Northside Athletics, AIS Athletics Track
- 5th November: 13Y&O SSSA Track & Field, AIS Athletics Track
- 3rd - 7th December: 12Yr&U Australian All Schools, AIS Athletics Track
- 5th - 7th December: 13Y&O Australian All Schools, Venue TBA
The results from the first RunACT event have been posted by Athletics ACT.
Ginninderra had the largest representation at the Stromlo event with 21 Belconnen athletes who scored a massive 643 points to take the lead in the overall club standings from Weston Creek (336 points). Hot on their heals are South Canberra Tuggeranong (543 points) and North Canberra Gungahlin (380 points).
The Team competition is based on the number of points divided by the number of competitors. The highest average determines the overall point score winner.
Its not to late to run with your Belconnen team at the next RunACT race and help keep the Tigers at the top of the leaderboard for the remaining events.
Track and Field may be taking a backseat to Cross Country and Fun Runs over the winter, but there's every reason to keep up your speed work over the off season.
Join Belconnen's fastest athletes three days a week as they train for distances from the 100m to the 800m (and everything in between).
Sprinting can be a year long sport with strength and power sessions taking on a little more importance this time of year. When these athletes aren't sprinting across ovals, up and down hills or under lights at the AIS, they are hitting the gym at Club Lime.
For more information on joining your the faster members of your local Belconnen Athletics Club call 0403 75 0619 and mention #FastRunning.
Belconnen's brightest talent was on show today at the Australian Little Athletics Championships in Perth, a one day event for Under 13 Athletes only.
Molly Sturgiss continued her stellar summer by breaking her Personal Best in the 400m final, finishing 5th overall and the best placed Ginninderra Tigers athlete at the annual event.
Jacob Todd was just as impressive in breaking his Personal Best in the 800m final. His latest run of luck takes him to 21 PBs for the season.
Ben Taylor who was the only athlete at ALAC who participated in all three throwing events had a strong start to his National representative honours. He was a mere 50cm from claiming a PB in the Discus.
Layla Rowntree starred in her 1500m final, taking 5 seconds off her best time in the event that was only set at the recent State Championships in March.
- Jacob – 5:16.57 (1500m), 2:34.90 (800m – PB)
- Ben – ND (Javelin), 8.38 (Shot Put), 23.07 (Discus)
- Molly – 1:02.70 (400m – PB), 29.21 (200m),
- Layla – 5:23.66 (1500m - PB), DQ (1500mW)
A number of ACT Athletes did extremely well and all the details are available on the ALAC 2015 Results Website.
Ginninderra's athletes competing at the Australian Little Athletics Championships in Perth have performed admirably. The Tigers competing against the best in Australia in the one day U13 only event showed lots of promise in their respective events.
Jacob and Molly posted Personal Bests and Ben was unlucky not to beat his own PB in the Discus Final. Friend of the Tigers, Layla also ran strongly in her 1500m blasting her PB from State Championships.
Ginninderra results from Perth at ALAC 2015:
- Jacob - 5:16.57 (1500m), 2:34.90 (800m - PB)
- Ben - ND (Javelin), 8.38 (Shot Put)
- Molly - 1:02.70 (400m - PB, 5th in the final), 29.21 (200m)
- Layla - 5:23.66 (1500m), DQ (1500mW)
The ACT has claimed a number of medals at the Championships, see the full results for every detail: