Track and Field may be taking a backseat to Cross Country and Fun Runs over the winter, but there's every reason to keep up your speed work over the off season.
Join Belconnen's fastest athletes three days a week as they train for distances from the 100m to the 800m (and everything in between).
Sprinting can be a year long sport with strength and power sessions taking on a little more importance this time of year. When these athletes aren't sprinting across ovals, up and down hills or under lights at the AIS, they are hitting the gym at Club Lime.
For more information on joining your the faster members of your local Belconnen Athletics Club call 0403 75 0619 and mention #FastRunning.
Belconnen's brightest talent was on show today at the Australian Little Athletics Championships in Perth, a one day event for Under 13 Athletes only.
Molly Sturgiss continued her stellar summer by breaking her Personal Best in the 400m final, finishing 5th overall and the best placed Ginninderra Tigers athlete at the annual event.
Jacob Todd was just as impressive in breaking his Personal Best in the 800m final. His latest run of luck takes him to 21 PBs for the season.
Ben Taylor who was the only athlete at ALAC who participated in all three throwing events had a strong start to his National representative honours. He was a mere 50cm from claiming a PB in the Discus.
Layla Rowntree starred in her 1500m final, taking 5 seconds off her best time in the event that was only set at the recent State Championships in March.
- Jacob – 5:16.57 (1500m), 2:34.90 (800m – PB)
- Ben – ND (Javelin), 8.38 (Shot Put), 23.07 (Discus)
- Molly – 1:02.70 (400m – PB), 29.21 (200m),
- Layla – 5:23.66 (1500m - PB), DQ (1500mW)
A number of ACT Athletes did extremely well and all the details are available on the ALAC 2015 Results Website.
Ginninderra's athletes competing at the Australian Little Athletics Championships in Perth have performed admirably. The Tigers competing against the best in Australia in the one day U13 only event showed lots of promise in their respective events.
Jacob and Molly posted Personal Bests and Ben was unlucky not to beat his own PB in the Discus Final. Friend of the Tigers, Layla also ran strongly in her 1500m blasting her PB from State Championships.
Ginninderra results from Perth at ALAC 2015:
- Jacob - 5:16.57 (1500m), 2:34.90 (800m - PB)
- Ben - ND (Javelin), 8.38 (Shot Put)
- Molly - 1:02.70 (400m - PB, 5th in the final), 29.21 (200m)
- Layla - 5:23.66 (1500m), DQ (1500mW)
The ACT has claimed a number of medals at the Championships, see the full results for every detail:
Just as with the mystical tale - Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, the 2014-15 Tigers walked, ran, jumped and threw our way to our first ever Dennis Goodwin ACT Championship Award for achieving the highest points aggregate score at the LAACT State Championships in March.
The Championship Award wasn't Ginninderra's only silverware presented at the Annual Dinner and Awards Night 2015 at the Southern Cross Club this evening.
The Tigers won for the third straight year the John Hunt Northside Championship Award as well as the Multievent Championship Award for the second straight year.
Ginninderra's President Phil Henderson spoke with Sports Minister Shane Rattenbury MLA recalling that the Tigers enjoyed a wonderful season on top of the Awards with a number of special accomplishments including:
- Our registrations soared, increasing on last season making Ginninderra the second largest Club in the ACT;
- Introduction of dedicated and committed Junior Coaches for U6 to U8 athletes;
- The MyTraining initiative for high quality weekly coaching for U9 to U17 athletes;
- Holding spilt sessions for age groups to reduce event waiting times and improve participation;
- Two newly laid jumping run-ups;
- Renovated Canteen and Change Rooms;
- Latest electronic Timing System for our Hurdles Straight and replacements for our two other tracks;
- Brand new throwing equipment and High Jump Stands;
- LAACT Board representation with the Finance Director role;
- Participation at various Coaching Courses;
- Master Classes from Sarah and Erwin McRae as well as Val Chesterton;
- Largest representation of Officials from a Club at LAACT Carnivals;
- Increased Carnival Participation having the highest Club representation at Multi Event, Regionals and State Championships;
- Third pre-season trip to Sydney visiting Liverpool and Randwick Botany Little Athletics Clubs;
- Regular Post-Christmas weekly attendance over 230 athletes which is the highest new year representation in the ACT;
- First-ever Junior Ginninderra Carnival for U6 to U8 athletes;
- Two athletes represented LANSW and Australia at the Trans Tasman Challenge in Sydney;
- Sixteen Tigers competed at the Australian Primary School Championships in Penguin;
- Three athletes represented the ACT at the International Children's Games in Lake Macquarie;
- Ten athletes competed in the All School Championships in Adelaide;
- Tiger teams won the Male and Female Relay at the Canberra Track Classic;
- Nine athletes participated in the Australian Junior Championships in Sydney;
- Three athletes selected for the LAA National Championships in Perth;
- Fourth year in a row improved overall medal tally at State Championships;
- Ginninderra claimed 50 Gold, 52 Silver and 45 Bronze Medals at the State Championships;
- Four senior athletes broke 9 State Records; and
- The Tigers collectively achieved 3314 Personal Bests for the Season which saw age group teams collect weekly PB Scoreboard prizes.
Ginninderra wishes to thank the support of the ACT Government and our generous sponsors who's assistance has made this all possible. Please support the organisations that get behind your Belconnen Athletics Club:
- Australian Surveillance Systems
- Clinic 88
- Beyond Bank
- Blinds Awnings Shutters Curtains
- Magpies Sports Club
- ACT Tyrepower
- The Outdoor Furniture Specialists
- Belconnen Physiotherapy Clinic
- Yass Nursery
- ACT Property Inspections
- Regal Charcoal Chicken Charnwood
- Conveyancing Canberra
- Ray White
- Coffee Club
- Club Lime
- Framed Like That
- St John Ambulance
A magnificent Autumn's day in the nation's capital for the Australian Running Festival saw many Belconnen athletes from the Ginninderra Tigers participating in the 5km and the 10km Fun Runs.
The festival aims to raise $250,000 for more than 250 charities in 2015 and the 10km race began early this morning at 7am. On Sunday, competitors will have the opportunity to run the ultra marathon, marathon or half marathon courses
Congratulations to everyone who participated. A quick snapshot of age based results follow:
5km (856 participants overall)
- Hannah Cadden (3rd),
- Brian Daly (4th),
- Hayden Todd (5th),
- Jordan King (6th),
- Jacob Todd (7th),
- Sidney Shaw (9th),
- Stuart Todd (26th).
10km (1396 participants overall)
- Layla Rowntree (1st),
- Elijah Arranz (5th),
- Faye Todd (24th),
- Linda Francis (50th).
Full results for everyone who participated including times: