The nearest suburb to the Western Foreshore of Lake Ginninderra is Florey. The suburb was gazetted on 5 August 1975 and most houses in Florey were constructed in the mid-1980s. The suburb is named after Howard Florey, Baron Florey, who shared the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1945 for his role in the extraction of penicillin. The streets of Florey are named after Australian scientists.
Florey has its own thriving community centre with schools, shops, pharmacy, eateries and medical centre.
The Pedestrian Path that runs through the centre of Florey as well as around the outside of the suburb has two entry points underneath Coulter Drive to its east that provides easy access to Lake Ginninderra. The first entry point to the Western Foreshore Park is located just to the north of John Cleland Crescent whilst the second is to the Joynton Smith Drive Reserve which is just north of Southern Cross Drive. The latter provides quick access to the Belconnen Bike Way.
Before housing commenced, Florey was approximately 250 hectares of undulating open paddocks with very few trees. Much of the area was used for sheep agistment. The area drains into and faces Ginninderra Creek to the north. At time of housing development, there was pine plantation in the north-east corner and a line of eucalypts in the south-east corner