Construction has commenced to duplicate the road, Gundaroo Drive that runs between Ginninderra Drive and the Barton Highway. Gundaroo Drive follows Ginninderra Creek as it enters the northern end of Lake Ginninderra, between the suburbs of McKellar and Lawson.
Future development on the CSIRO land that is bordered by this road near Evatt, Owen Dixon Drive, Kuringa Drive and the Barton Highway will bring many more residents and vehicles to the region. To ensure the road network is built to cater for this future demand, $10 million has been committed by the ACT Government for traffic lights to replace the existing roundabout at the Owen Dixon Drive intersection.
Key features of the duplication include:
- two lanes in each direction between Ginninderra Drive and the Barton Highway
- 6.4 kilometres of new on-road cycle lanes
- new signalised intersections at Dumas Street and Owen Dixon Drive
- a reduced speed limit along the length of the road between Ginninderra Drive and the Barton Highway
- replace all existing underpass structures with new wider structures with lighting and connecting paths
- additional bus stops and upgrading of existing ones.
Construction on the project is expected to be completed in mid-2023.